Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Video WorkPrinter Images

  1. #1
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Hi, all!

    I have just posted some images transferred with the Video WorkPrinter. For those interested in what the quality is like, please see:
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/printer_images.html

    Thanks!

    Roger Evans

  2. #2
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    I checked these out, and everyone should do the same.
    Roger has really made something spectacular here, and I'm hoping to get one of his excellent Worprinters very soon.
    It's a fraction of the cost of even a short, cheap telecine session, and you can keep using it to transfer your film FOREVER!
    Roger, I hope when I get my S8 footage for you to test for me, that you put some of my images up too.
    I'm very anxious to see how they turn out, since I had them Ranked, and I will see exactly how they compare on your Workprinter.
    ($1 million dollar hardware, vs. $600+ hardware.... don't worry, I don't expect it to be identical, but from the looks of what I've seen, it's close enough to work).

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  3. #3
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    Roger,
    Man your a freakin super-8 tech wiz...nice job...when you put Cintel out of business..just remember us little guys..so instead of saying I had my film RANKED..it will be I had my film ROGERED.
    Keep up the great work!

    Neil
    JOCKO FILMS

    ------------------

  4. #4
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks, guys!

    These were transferred by just projecting on a piece of ink jet paper with the normal projection lens. Lately I've figured out a cost effective way to change out the original lens to a high quality enlarging lens to make the images even sharper, either for projection or for use with a multiplxor. It would increase the cost a bit, but it is do-able for those that want the best image possible short of a Rank.

    Roger

  5. #5
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    One thing that is perhaps not obvious is that the WorkPrinter ALSO can be used in conjunction with super 8 cameras that have an electronic shutter release to form a simple optical printer set up. Every time the projector lines up a frame in the gate, the camera will be instructed to copy it via a screen or multiplexor (aeriel image) set up. I mention this on the website, but it isn't something I make a big pitch over.

    Thought those interested in doing their dissolves and other optical effects on Super 8 might want to know.

    Roger

  6. #6
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post


    The optical printer aspect is interesting. (along with everything else)

    Have you determined an optimal frame shutter speed.

    some cameras have a slower shutter speed in single-frame mode, which would allow for a "better" f-stop.

    So, the question is, what is the ideal f-stop to shoot at, and what shutter speed will accomplish this?

    -Alex

    ------------------

  7. #7
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Alex -

    I'm not sure one would have that much choice in the matter. Since the cameras (that I'm aware of) with an electronic single frame release typically have a non adjustable single frame speed of about 1/60th, I would guess that is what you'd get, depending on the shutter angle.

    The projector is clipping along at only 6fps and the shutter has been removed completely. Therefore, relatively speaking, the camera has an eternity to make the exposure during the projector's dwell time. Also, the film is perfectly stationary during exposure so a high shutter speed would not be necessary (not that you were suggesting it).

    Like anything, tests are a must. I've linked it to a silent Canon 1014 and it worked superbly. The camera kept right up and copied every frame perfectly. We also tried an Elmo 1012XSL with same results. Too bad sound film isn't made anymore. People could print their own movies, laying in each cut optically on sound film with no visible splices! Fades and dissolves, too! Use a multiplexor and then you'd really be smokin'!

    Roger

  8. #8
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    Wow..Roger have you thought about offering the services yourself..or do you just want to sell the machines..Nice invention..man, does this workprinter have it all or what!..too bad I'm a dope when it comes to computers ..or I would buy one..could it be adapted for negative stocks..I can't believe super8 sound has not bought them all..to hide away..or as Matt has said..put a PRO8 sticker over yours and charge $5000.00

    Great work Roger!

    Neil
    JOCKO FILMS

    ------------------

  9. #9
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Hi, Jocko!

    It should handle negative film as well as reversal. The negative image could then be rectified when the 3:2 pulldown is rendered.

    I am still formulating a transfer service to give the Rank a little modest competition. I don't fantasize it being as good as a Rank, but it will be better than a typical film chain in that I'll be imaging right off the film with only a single lens involved; just like an optical printer.

    Other than that, it's really best for do-it-yourselfers to do the optical printing thing. It's too time consuming. Hell, so many people shooting super 8 can't even afford to have their films transferred to video, much less have optical work done!

    I am a little bewildered in the general lack of response regarding the WorkPrinter. I have read so many people on so many forums complain about the problems with editing films that are non-synchronous to the Rank or trying to do their own transfers and getting flicker or the high cost of post houses, etc. Where are these same people, now? So far, only one person has taken me up on the offer of a free test.

    I'll just have to be patient, I guess. Hopefully, in time, people will see the value in the WorkPrinter. I've had quite a few emails about how it works. I think people might be suspicious because it's so damned simple! How could it possibly work?

    Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence.

    Roger

    [This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited September 01, 2001).]

  10. #10
    dogstarman
    Guest dogstarman's Avatar

    Post

    Roger,

    I have a question about the Workprinter:
    you state that it works well with Adobe Premiere. Does it work (have you tested it) with any other NLE software? Does anybody know off-hand what alternatives might fit the bill for utilizing this unit?

    ------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •